Friday, November 19, 2010

GG's in town!

So my sharp-as-a-wip, 88 year-old Grandmother, who my kids most affectionately refer to as "GG," just arrived for a visit. She's from the Chicago area, where I grew up, is my role model, my mentor, can tell you the starting White Sox lineup if you ask her, makes the BEST chocolate eclairs, and is, um, well very opinionated. Always full of compliments...like "your kids are beautiful...so smart--Sofia reminds me exactly like you when you were a kid." Says all of the right things (and truly means them) making you beam with pride and joy, just the way she always did when I was a kid. Oh, and I did I mention that she is, um, well a little protective?

My boyfriend is no exception. She'll be meeting D for the first time at Sunday dinner. Before I even finished telling her about him, she immediately began quizzing me without hesitation...how did you meet(really online?)...did you warn him about us (we're a little outspoken if you haven't surmised that by now) ...what does he do...how many kids does he have...when kind of car does he drive...who left who in his marriage (really Grandma!)...does he have money in the bank (her words exactly). Not meant in a judging way, just statements in the form of questions to ensure that he is good enough for her granddaughter.

Love that. I want to be her when I grow older. Full of life, full of laughter, full of wisdom. Oh, and I can't wait for her to meet D.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, GG and my Weezie should talk. I have a feeling they were separated at birth :)

    ReplyDelete