Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder?

There was a time when I loved to travel for work – eat out every meal, enjoy room service in a plush robe and pillow-top bed with cozy sheets and blankets, and even an occasional drink at the hotel bar with a complete stranger, that by the end of the conversation was like a new friend. Fast forward to present day, having done very little work travel in the last two years, and suddenly I’m gone over a third of the month of March on two different East Coast trips.

I’m finding my love for work travel is fading to more of a little crush. I still get butterflies in my stomach going somewhere new, but I miss all the comforts of home that much more. And let me tell you, being gone so much in the early stages of a relationship makes travel that much harder.

Things with Pele could not be better. Each and every date is an adventure, and I can’t believe just how happy I am with how things are going. Being gone so much this month has made me realize that even more. I think it’s true what they say, absence does make the heart grow fonder! I look forward to talking to him when I’m gone, sharing the experiences of the days and adventures in new cities, and even more, I enjoy coming home and catching up over dinner or a movie, reconnecting face-to-face, not to mention the feeling of complete content hearing, “I’m really glad you’re back.” I realize more and more just how lucky I am right now – even if it takes racking up hundreds of airlines miles along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment